Monday, February 4, 2013

Tinker Bell Half Marathon Meet Up

I love the RunDisney events, they are the reason I got into running (I'll save that for another post).  I jumped on the chance to get into the Tinker Bell Meet-Up as soon as I could- and I was one of the lucky few to get in! You basically have to keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog page and as soon as they post the information RSVP ASAP.

When I got the email I was THRILLED to do the Meet-Up on that SATURDAY morning... "but hey, wait a minute" (I thought) "the email they sent said it was on FRIDAY" (oopsies). I could do it but it would mean a crazy weekend for me. My initial plan was Saturday morning go up for the 5k (to cheer for 2 of the kids I coach) and the Meet-Up. Since the Meet-Up was in fact on Friday this meant I would have to drive 1.5 hours to get there and then turn back around afterwards so I could make it to my High School Soccer game for the team I coach. I could swing it!

 What sounded like an amazing idea- was slightly less amazing when I woke up at 3:15am to get out of the door by 4:15am (we needed to check in around 6am).  It takes me an hour in the morning to function so I need that hour to slowly drink my coffee and wake up. I'm a happy person when I wake up (I wouldn't say I am not a morning person) I just move slow :)

 I arrived at Disneyland around 5:45am and was so excited to get going! I walked over to the meeting spot under the sorcerer mickey hat and saw a few other really excited women (and a handful of men). I received my RunDisney t-shirt, put it on, and stashed my bag with them. I was cold (hey, I am a SoCal girl now!) but the nervous excitement helped warm me up! They gathered us all together. Introduced us to Sean Astin (who needed no introduction!), Ali Vincent- the first female winner of The Biggest Loser and RunDisney running guru Jeff Galloway- then we were off!

 (photo credit RunDisney) 

 Off we ran through Downtown Disney and headed towards the main gates. I have done Disneyland 5k 2008, Disneyland Half in 2009 and 2010, and last years Tink Half- so this was not my first time running through the parks BUT this was my first experience with it so empty! It was amazing, I was geeking out a little (shh don't tell anyone).

I'm a tiny little speck in a yellow team sparkle skirt on the left (photo credit RunDisney)

a brief glance at an empty castle as we ran through.

We ran around a bit- I tried to take pictures but then realized (since they were mostly blurry) I would just take it all in.  When do you get a chance to run around a very very empty Disneyland??  Our next stop was Pixie Hollow to meet the guest of honor- Tinker Bell!

No, I didn't know anyone in this group- but I do have to give a shout out to the 2 other people wearing the Newton Running shoes! (I wore mine too- I wear them for short distances)
(photo credit RunDisney)

Then we were off to Disney's California Adventure- just across the esplanade.  We stopped a the fountain on Buena Vista Street and they announced we had some "visitors".  Out came Mickey, Minnie and Goofy for a photo op with us!  We gathered together for this group photo:
I'm a tiny head in the back on the right.  (photo credit RunDisney)

Everyone then lined up to take a picture with their favorite characters.  There was a big rush for Mickey/Minnie and a smaller line for Goofy.  I decided I would wait til the lines got short and ended up standing to the side with a few people including Sean Astin.  He really is a down to earth nice guy.  I was a fan before- I am definitely a bigger fan now.  Once the lines shortened it was time for my picture with the fabulous 3.




I met Heather at the start of the Meet-Up and turns out we have a mutual friend!  I loved hanging out with her :) 

Then we were off to Cars Land!  I had a good feeling we would be heading there since it had just opened in the Summer of 2012.  For many people attending the Meet-Up this was their first experience there.  I had been a few times previously- but it's done so amazing- with attention to detail- that every time I go I love it!  We even got to ride on Radiator Springs Racers!



 I am in the green car- we won!  I also got to ride with new twitter friends Victoria and Meridith! 
(photo credit RunDisney)

They then brought us into Napa Rose in the Grand Californian Hotel.  I have only dreamed about eating at this fancy restaurant!  They fed us breakfast and I grabbed some coffee (I needed it!) and some fruit and yogurt.  I happened (by chance) to sit at a table with Victoria (upstate NY) and Meridith (NJ)- yay East Coast people!  My new friend Heather and I sat with them- and I left with 3 very cool new friends.  

Sean Astin, Ali Vincent and Jeff Galloway all got a chance to talk about themselves a bit.  Sean has this great #Run3rd campaign where you dedicate your runs to someone in need.  Ali Vincent has a new show starting up- Live Big with Ali Vincent.  Jeff Galloway is just an all around inspirational running coach (with a passion for running Disney).  

They had a few giveaways- entry into Disneyland Half Marathon Dumbo Double Dare (10k and half marathon), New Balance special RunDisney shoes and a few duffle bags.  A few selections in and nobody at our table had won- so I commented how I have bad luck.  THEN they called MY name!  Well, it was at least my first name- and they joked how my last name was a mouthful (I wasn't lying about that!).  I won a duffle bag!  I don't care if it's "just" a duffle bag- I love it!!  

They finished with a cooking demonstration of some black bean cakes and poached eggs.  OMG were they delicious!  I love food- I LOVE good food!

I left that day and almost skipped to my car!  I was on such an adrenaline high from such a wonderful electric group of people and an amazing experience!  I grabbed another coffee (the Disney one was weak) and headed back to my car to begin my treck back to San Diego.  I tried to explain how awesome my day was to my fiancee but I was all over the place- too excited/ADD to genuinely explain everything.

Nothing could bring me down!  And then my High School team played awful and lost 0-3 (and I am a very passionate coach, so it's hard to see them like that).  Oh well, at least the morning was unforgettable!!

Tink Half Recap- coming soon!


1 comment:

  1. Love this!!! I was totally geeking out when we ran through the parks too. :) xo

    ReplyDelete