Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Tinker Bell Half Marathon Recap

The Tinker Bell Half Marathon was yet again another amazing RunDisney experience for me.  Add it to the list!

I participated in the Inaugural Tink Half last year- and loved it!  In fact, it was my favorite race of all time- so I knew that this year would be awesome and I was so thrilled to run it!

After my amazing experience Friday Morning at the Tink Half Meet Up I was even more excited to get back up to Disneyland!  Laurie and I drove up on Saturday morning and checked into our hotel- The Hotel Ménage.  It was perfect walking distance to everything- and it was actually a very nice hotel!  Last year we stayed at the Hojo and we loved it, but with just Laurie and I for this trip- it was too pricey.

Our first stop was to head over to the expo to get our bibs/t-shirts and just "window shop".  I love a big race expo and seeing all the gadgets, clothes, etc that I do not need/must have.  We walked over and saw several other Tink runners with their bags.  I'll say this, everyone looked happy.  It's hard to not be happy at Disneyland (unless you are a 4 year old throwing a temper tantrum).

We walked around the expo for about an hour- I wanted to see everything!  We picked up a few gifts to give to our family during the Princess Half (including a team sparkle skirt for Laurie's mom to wear for the 5k- those Team Sparkle ladies are so helpful!) and we each got an ifitness race bib holder I loved this purchase!  I hate how I have to pin my numbers through all my favorite running clothes.  This belt worked perfectly!  Laurie got the version that would hold her Gu's and she also loved hers!  Yay new toy!  We look like "real" runners! (ha)  I made sure to grab my Vinylmation (I have a collection) and the Tink Half medal for it.  This has quickly become my favorite!

Seriously- how cool is this?!

We walked back to our hotel, took the car to California Pizza Kitchen (we always have Pizza- it's a tried and true pre-race meal for both of us) and then got ready to sleep for the night.  Before we laid down we made sure to do our ceremonial laying out of the race clothes.  I want things to be perfect on race day so I kinda obsess about things being perfect the night before.  Laying out the clothes helps me rest easy knowing I have everything (of course I have everything I checked my bag several times!)

Our first race ever in team sparkle skirts and wings!

We woke up at 3am (ouch) and had our coffee and breakfast.  I usually have an english muffin with peanut butter and half a banana.  We headed out in the dark to the starting line.  You could hear the energy from so far away!  We got there later than I would have liked- but were able to join in with our Corral just as the race was starting for the earlier Corral's.  


Tinker Bell came up on the screen and sprinkled some pixie dust for all of us and we were off!


I can't reiterate enough how amazing the energy at Disney races are!  Everyone seemed to be in such a great mood.  It's so exciting to go under the starting line and know you are about to accomplish something pretty amazing.

We made it about 2 miles and then headed into Cars Land.  Disney really outdid itself when it built Cars Land.  It is so true to the movie and the attention to details is just amazing.  It is a MUST SEE at night (or in our case in the morning) when all the lights are on!


We passed by World Of Color with the fountains on- gorgeous.  Unfortunately my photography skills are lacking with insufficient light!


I tried to take a few pictures of Laurie in front of it- but they didn't come out very well either!  

We were then off across the esplanade (fancy word for the space between DCA and Disneyland) into the gates of Disneyland.  So many people had set up here to watch their family and friends.  It was awesome to see so much support!  

Then off to my favorite part- Main Street USA!


One of the last pictures we took

As we ran through the castle we stopped and took a picture with Peter Pan and Wendy and that was officially the last time we would stop.  We spent a lot of time in DCA and Disneyland stopping for pictures or in gridlock with so many runners that we were WAY behind the pace we wanted to be at.

The reality is that Laurie and I have done almost every single half marathon (7) together (I did 2 without her).  We trained so very well for Tink so we knew there was a chance for us to beat our PR from Disneyland 2009 (my solo PR was in October at Long Beach Half Marathon).  Laurie does not ever look at her pace/time as it stresses her out.  I was not going to be the person to tell her that we were about 5 minutes behind pace- but she could tell, and we didn't talk about it.  We refocused on running- and I stopped taking pictures.

Then the miles just starting flying by.  We were cruising!  I could feel us moving so much faster and we both felt so great!  We ran through Anaheim and enjoyed seeing all the great signs, cheerleaders, kids, pets, etc.  When we hit mile 10 I got a HUGE grin because I knew we were going to do it!  Laurie was going to get her personal PR and we were going to get our PR of running together!  I wanted Laurie to get that PR so so so so bad.  She has gotten so close at other races but unfortunately things had not gone her way yet.  Last year at Tink Half she had some awful cramps and we had to walk a lot.  This time was different!  She looked so good, happy, healthy!  Her form looked upright and strong.  I knew we were going to do it and I got emotional- and I didn't dare tell her ;)

Those last 3 miles can be so difficult.  You have to dig down deep.  You are so close- but yet, 5k away.  Right as we hit mile 11 we caught up with Sean Astin.  I was so thrilled to see him again, as I had chatted with him on Friday during the Meet-Up.  Laurie was also excited to see him but too focused to say anything to him.  I chatted a little bit with him- wished him luck (I didn't want to bother him) and returned to running with Laurie.  We ended up keeping the same pace as him through the finish line (he really helped us to keep going).  As we entered the final area I saw one of the little girls I coach with a sign for me!   

She ran the 5k the day before and killed it!  Her picture made it on the Run Disney Facebook page!

I love the kids I coach!  Seeing something like this on a race course (this was my second sign from a kid I coach!) is so inspiring and really helps you get a burst of energy.  Note- make signs for your loved ones!

As we approached the finish line I high fived Minnie while Laurie went to the other side to high five Mickey.  We met up in the middle and crossed together.  I was not sure what our exact time was - but I knew one thing WE DID IT!  I hugged Laurie and said- "We crushed it!"  We also joked how we had beaten Sean across the finish line- and then a few hours later there it was!  Picture proof:

There is Laurie in her signature Pink Newtons- with her green running skirt and purple shirt! (photo credit RunDisney)

We walked through and we were given our medals (my favorite race medal- and now I have 2!) and then we just relaxed and enjoyed the atmosphere (and stretched a little bit).  I checked my email and there it was- our official time (I had the times tracked to my email) we beat our previous best by 9 minutes!!!  24 minutes faster than our 2012 Tinker Bell Half Marathon!!!  It felt so good!  It made an already amazing feeling feel that much better!  Our first race in a skirt and wings too!

That is a genuine smile!  Showing off what powered her speed in this race!

I wouldn't want to share this moment with anyone else! (Bonus- our shirts matched the ribbon)

We returned to our hotel room and took a short nap- then it was off to Trader Sam's Tiki Bar for a fancy drink!  For the second year in a row Laurie and I did something we called "no drink til Tink".  We did not have any alcohol in the months heading up to Tink (we took a small time out for xmas but not a sip after!)  We wanted to make sure that our celebratory drink was that much more special!  The drinks there are delicious- as is the food.  We later grabbed my favorite post-race treat- a caramel apple!  I picked up the Mickey Mouse apple.

We had so much fun at Tinker Bell Half Marathon!  It makes me really excited for our upcoming race the Princess Half Marathon at Disney World!  We are going to earn our Coast to Coast medal at that race too!  (earned by running 1 race at Disneyland and 1 at Disney World in the same calendar year).  It will be our first race ever at Disney World!  Princess will be a much different experience as we are running it with Laurie's sister who is a beginner runner- and this is her first half marathon.  We just want to make sure she finishes and enjoys it.  My parents and her mom are running the 5k and her 5 year old niece is running the kids race!  We have been pumping that kid up for her race since she was surprised with this trip at Xmas!  I can't wait to see her!

Until then, we will bask in the glow of our 9 minute PR!  Our fastest run together since 2009!  


No comments:

Post a Comment